Friday, June 28, 2019

Screen Printing

In the spring semester I gave my computer graphics students several options to complete a design product for a real “client”, mostly for school organizations or events. The design that blew me away was a logo for our band and vocal classes. The student incorporated a treble clef into our cobra logo and I thought that it was so clever. The logo will be printed on t-shirts next year but the designer was about to graduate and wanted a shirt before she left. To solve this problem we broke out the screen printing materials for the first time! We followed the directions and it worked just about perfectly. 
 Next we decided to let art club students screenprint their own t-shirts. I reused an old screen for this and we started to have a few issues. Let’s just pretend we were going for a distressed look. This was the sample I made on construction paper to remind art club about bringing a shirt. 
Feeling overly confident with a new screen I volunteered to make t-shirts for staff members for the last day of school when we play against the students in a dodgeball game. I tried I think 3 times and could never get the screen right. The screen filler washed right off like it had never been exposed to the design. Running out of time and not knowing how to fix it, I followed my friend Tranda’s (Ag Wife Artist Life: steps to make a screen using mod podge. I had to simplify the design a bit and it also has a distressed look, but I was still happy with how the shirts turned out and got them completed on time. One of the students saw me in my dodgeball get up and told me I was “so extra!” I totally take that as a compliment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment