There was a "Sea" theme for Kindergarten Roundup this year so I decided it was a great opportunity to make some mixed media "Sea" artwork! We created these projects in two 40-minute class periods.
My mom saved a whole box of bubble wrap sleeves that were the perfect size for little hands.
I used cardboard pieces for palettes and since I couldn't find the brayers that I KNOW are somewhere in the classroom, I tried using cardboard tubes to spread out the paint! I mixed light blue and white paint to get some variation in color. It worked pretty good in a pinch. :) The bubble wrap went on the students' hands, pressed gently (I stressed that there was to be NO popping of the bubble wrap) into the paint, and then the paint was printed on blue construction paper. The paint dried pretty quickly so we were able to move onto adding sand in the same class period.
I am too afraid to let Kindergarten students loose with bottled glue, so I put a squiggle of Elmer's at the bottom of their paper (students chose either horizontal or vertical layouts) and the students sprinkled sand. I bought a 50 lb bag of play sand at Lowe's for a few dollars and probably only used about a cup for over 100 students. I placed a little dish of sand at each table and after the sand was sprinkled, the students bent their paper to dump the excess sand back in the dish. I love the texture the sand adds to the artwork- it makes a nice tactile connection to the element of art.
Example background created in one class period. *I made an example as I demonstrated in each class and gave it to any students who were absent in the first class period. In the second class, the students were given a 9x6 inch piece of paper to make their fish drawings. I showed the students how to make a very simple fish using a circle or ellipse and a triangle. The students who were more confident drew a fish their own way, some even making sharks. The drawings were laid out in pencil and crayons were used to add color.
Since I knew this was going to be a messy project, I covered the tables with butcher paper. It worked out great because when we had extra time at the end of class, I let the students draw on the tables while waiting to wash their hands. I ended up leaving the paper covers on for about two weeks. The students kept adding drawings, paint and crayon was added when it went off the edges of the paper. When I decided to take the paper off, I hung our semi-accidental, collaborative artwork on the walls!
Reminds me a bit of Cy Twombly!